You may not realize how much you use your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) until they become irritated, causing you pain. Since they connect your jaw to your skull, you use them for speaking, eating, and much more. Our TMJ treatment in Highland Heights will relieve your discomfort and allow you to open your mouth without issue.
We’ll fit you for a custom night guard that will:
- Ease strain on your jaw so your TMJ can heal
- Enable you to chew, speak, laugh, and yawn without discomfort
- Return full range of motion to your jaw
- Relieve symptoms associated with TMJ problems, including headaches and earaches
- Protect enamel on your teeth from damage caused by grinding, a destructive habit often found in people with TMJ dysfunction
Sleep Easier & Let Your Jaw Heal With a Night Guard
Many people with a TMJ disorder (TMD) find relief with a night guard. Worn while sleeping, it prevents you from clenching or grinding your teeth, two behaviors that create pressure on your jaw and can also damage your teeth. Dr. Theiss looks for signs of grinding during every dental exam, but you should let him know if you suspect you have this problem.
He’ll take impressions of your teeth for a custom-made night guard. Unlike a store-bought night guard, it will fit as if it was made just for you – because it is! It gives your TMJ a chance to relax and heal.
Behavior Changes Can Also Help Ease TMJ Pain
In addition to a night guard, Dr. Theiss can recommend some behavior changes you can make to help relieve TMJ symptoms. For example:
- Don’t chew gum.
- When eating, chew your food evenly using both sides of your mouth.
- Don’t rest your chin on your hand when seated.
- Pay attention to your posture; keep your head up and your back straight.
If you have a sore jaw, frequent headaches, or other symptoms, call 859-900-0919 for more information on TMJ treatment in Highland Heights.